Wednesday, September 21, 2011

You can call me Chef Shannon

So, if you are close to Clint and I, you know we have been put on a strict diet by our "Harvard Graduate" Doctor Julian De Braun Kopps, also known here in Idaho Falls as Dr. DBK! I'm only letting you know he is a Harvard Grad, because while looking for a family physician (we where told newly weds needed one of these) everyone I spoke with recommended Dr. DBK because he graduated from Harvard! LOL, our first trip to his office to get our physicals is a hilarious story that I will get into at a later time since I have already gotten off the subject...What was I talking about again?

Oh ya, our diet....Clint "needs to eat like a rabbit" -Dr. DBK and my "liver is at war, and the insulin, also know as the soldiers have been fighting and fighting, but they don't have any recruits coming in and they are getting warn out"- Dr. DBK in other words he has high cholesterol and I have an insulin resistance problem.

So we have been eating salads. Tons of vegetables (mostly from our parents a.k.a my in laws Brent and Debbie Moore's garden) Which you have to see to believe. This garden is the most meticulously planned garden you will ever see. I swear each plant has been measured at least 5x to ensure accurate planting prior to going into the ground! The thing is amazing. One day I might get a green thumb and be able to replicate it, but I think I'd better just buy a Topsy turvy, and call it a day.

So I am an okay cook...not the best by any means, but I have been in the business for about 15 years, gosh I am getting old, thirty in less than a month, uck.... And since my mother and sister informed my hubs that I actually know how to cook he expects a Martha Stewart kind of meal daily...Yah, thanks Mom and Mel! We have had so many chicken salads with veggies that we are both sick of it. Eating a salad has become torture. If we go out to eat, we split a salad because neither of us really wants to eat it. Hand me a juicy steak and some potatoes already!!!

I have been searching the Internet for something different to help our bored to death taste buds, and I came across a ton of recipes for mango salsa, and, it just so happened I had some mango's in my fridge...(only natural sugars in my diet) so I thought what the heck lets try it out. But of course I don't have a fully stocked kitchen to just whip up any ole recipe on any given day, I had to create my own, and let me just tell you...go back to jail Martha, Paula Dean retire from guilt for all the heart attacks you have caused, and Rachel Ray... I actually like you, but there is a new cook in town....its just that good!!!

Recipe
2 Mango's
1 pint of strawberries (they where in my fridge about to go bad)
2 vine ripened tomatoes (thanks Brent and Debbie Moore)
1 jalapeno (again, thanks to the In Laws, yall rock)
1 bundle of cilantro (make sure you wash this, disgusted by how dirty it is when you get it from the store.)
1/2 tablespoon of sea salt, most recipes wanted Kosher salt, but I didn't have any
1 tablespoon of pepper
1 lime
1 red onion

First chop up your strawberries and place then in a large mixing bowl.
 Then do the same for your mango's. I peeled them first, and Mango's are a bit tricky to cut.
 Cut your jalapeno in half and remove seeds, then finely chop and add to bowl.
 Now cut your tomatoes. I was surprised that most recipes didn't include these...it's Salsa for goodness sake!

 Add salt
 Then pepper
 Chop red onion! Mine was very large so I only used 2/3rds. But it was HUGE!
 Cut lime, and squeeze fresh lime juice into bowl. I like lime better than lemon!
 Mix all Ingredients
 Taste a bit before you put it in fridge, all good chefs do this!
 Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night!
You can thank me later, just add Chicken, Shrimp, or tortilla chips cause this is amazing! ENJOY!

It was really easy to make, took me a total of about 20 minutes, and I was taking pictures, but my husband will be very impressed!

Love, Chef Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment